Site Content

Social Wellbeing | by, Shannon K. Ashford

Assistant Director, Student Organizations and ProgramsShannon_Ashford

Let’s get social! I was so excited to be given the opportunity to write this post because I truly believe in the power of social engagement – so much so that it is my job!  Studies show that building and maintaining relationships has a direct effect on an individual’s happiness. Social interaction can come in many forms, but it is important for all Wake Foresters to find their niche. Some examples of how I take care of my social wellbeing is by being involved in various committees at work that directly align with my passions, volunteering in the community, exercising with others, meeting friends and colleagues for coffee or lunch, engaging in social media, and by traveling.

V3 Compass color for web

As the Assistant Director for Student Organizations &Programs within the Office of Student Engagement here at Wake, my job is to help every Deacon find their place. Our office provides countless opportunities for involvement whether it be joining or starting a student organization, getting involved in the Fraternity & Sorority community, participating in leadership development programs like CHARGE or by attending one of the countless events and traditions planned by Student Union. All of the events we sponsor are open to the entire campus community.

The first few weeks of a new academic year play a major role in an individual’s social wellbeing. I hope that many of you have gotten a chanceThe Link for Web_Blog to start connecting with others and getting involved, but if you’re not quite sure where to start your engagement journey, check out our engagement platform, The Link, that has over 150 ways to get involved at Wake. You can also visit us in the Office of Student Engagement suite in Benson 335